The Application Period
The Denison Homestead is accepting applications for Summer 2017. The application deadline is noon Friday April 21st. Residency decisions will be made by Tuesday April 25th. Thank you for your interest.
Please download the Summer Homestead Application (right click below) and submit it via email to Tom Henshaw, Homestead Coordinator.
You may notice that the application references the Homesteader Contract. This contract outlines the contributions expected of each Homesteader and demonstrates how each resident actively participates in community-building. The Homestead Contract will be signed as an addendum to the residential life housing contract by all newly accepted Homesteaders.
Prior experience with the Homestead lets us know that you understand the Homestead and its philosophy. Participation as a non-resident also demonstrates a commitment to the Homestead. Applicants who demonstrate a consistent interest in and enthusiasm for the Homestead and actively participate in Homestead activities will not only gain a better understanding of the dynamics of the Homestead community but will gain favorable weight in review of their application. Before you decide to apply, you are encouraged to:
- Take a tour
- Talk to current Homesteaders about what it means to be a member of this community
Please take your time and fill out the application fully and thoughtfully. Remember that some of the people reading your application will not have met you, and so will be basing their evaluation on what you write and how well your answers illustrate a commitment to the Homestead and its ideals.
Here is the brief version of what happens once you submit your application:
- Once the application period ends, the HAB Chair sends names of all applicants to Residential Life to make sure applicants are eligible to live in satellite housing (the Homestead is classified as satellite housing).
- Eligible applications are forwarded to all current Homesteaders and to the Homestead Advisory Board Applications Committee (HAB-AC).HAB-AC is a sub-set of people on the Homestead Advisory Board. Typically, HAB-AC is comprised of: the HAB Chair, the Homestead Coordinator, the Assistant Director of Residential Life, and two faculty members.
- HAB-AC members meet to discuss and evaluate the applications. A written recommendation is prepared with comments on each application’s strengths and weaknesses. HAB-AC also ranks applicants (first choice, second choice, etc.).
- Homesteaders meet to read the HAB-AC recommendations and to evaluate applications. By the end of this meeting, all the applicants will be ranked.
- Final rankings go back to HAB-AC for approval.
- Once the rankings are approved, top-ranked applicants are invited to join the Homestead.
If you are not invited to join the Homestead the first time you apply, don’t lose heart! We encourage people to re-apply. Often times, we simply do not have enough space for all the people who would like to live at the Homestead, so we have to turn down some people–even though their applications are very, very good!
Current Homesteaders must re-apply every semester. The re-application process is a bit less formal than a new applicant would go through; it mainly allows current Homesteaders to renew their commitment to the Homestead and to each other.